Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end



That lyric was the quote used for my senior year of high school back in 2001, from the song "Closing Time" by Semisonic.

We were so "present" back then without even realizing it! ;) Yah, right.

This came faster than I anticipated, but in the past two weeks I've toured two different preschools and had two very different experiences trying to imagine and predict and well, ask for God's guidance in figuring out the right educational option for our almost 4 year old for next year! And yes, this means it's been 4 years now since that picture you see of me & Greg to the left.  Four years ago we stood on a bank by a canal while our good friend snapped pictures of us as we anticipated the tiniest bundle you could think of...

She has always been looking to the future! ;)
The whole "your child is old enough to go to preschool next year" feeling is eerily similar in my estimation to the feeling I had when I was pregnant with Mia and was realizing "you're having a baby and you have major decisions to make!" Birth center, or hospital? Vaxing or no-vaxing? Cloth diapers or disposables? I guess in her case we did a little bit of both, didn't we?!

But with preschool, it's kind of all or nothing. You either do it, or you don't do it, and if you don't, that's fine, because there's always kindergarten.  But we have felt with this particular youngster that is she probably ready for a little structured learning.
Mia at her preschool co-op

Like I said, we've toured a couple of places, and we now have a feeling and a hunch that a certain place might be right for her and for us, but we are waiting a few things out until we know more and more time has passed.  I'll let you know when we know! But we are being very prayerful about this and if you felt like praying about it too we'd gladly welcome it!


What we've been doing this year:
Some may know that this year, we've been participating in a "preschool co-op" with a few other families from our church group.  It's more like giving our children practice at being in a learning environment than it is formally trying to teach them specific concepts or whatnot, although I'm sure they are learning a lot just through the experience. We aim to meet 3 Tuesdays out of every month, and the moms rotate who teaches each month. February has been my month and I have 2 more classes to teach!  It's been fun and eye-opening, and Mia has enjoyed every minute.  The classes only last about 1.5 hours but I was shocked how quickly that time passed when I last taught.

It is just kind of crazy that our little girl is slowly exiting little little childhood and is almost ready for school (hence the title of this blog)!

Well, another new beginning is coming from some beginning's end: Gabe's naptime is over and so must this blog post be.  Until next time...

No comments: