Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

baby don't feel so good...

Somedays motherhood is a never-ending head-scratching event.  In some ways I feel like I have my own motherly intuition, and in some other ways I feel like I have absolutely no clue what I am doing, or what I'm "supposed" to be doing.

For instance, ever since we got back from our trip (trips: world-renowned for throwing babies off their schedules), Mia has maybe once slept all the way through the night without waking up.  But for the last 3-4 nights, she has gotten up at least once, most of the time settling back down pretty quickly (thankfully!).

However, during the daytime, unless we're walking outside, which is her new favorite activity, she's pretty bored, miserable and fussy and very persnickety about foods (probably righteous payback).  And has some diapers to show it. And while I sometimes question the point of taking Mia to her pediatrician (sometimes it just feels like a co-pay $$ and then a regurgitation of everything I just said or theorized), as I am clearly not a medical expert and don't know all the signs to look for, I did take her in yesterday just to double-check she doesn't have some virus.  Well, while the pedi couldn't be sure one way or the other, he'd said if these symptoms don't pass in a few days or worsen, to call back, but it's probably either something viral or she's teething.  I'm thinking she's most likely teething, and to be all Southern on you (which I'm not), it seems like she's teething "something fierce"!  Unfortunately, Mia's becoming moody about the idea of taking her homeopathic teething tablets.  Sometimes she'll accept them, other times she'll gag and eject them from her mouth (toddler behavior is so charming at times, isn't it??).  Really, she is quite amusing--fo' realz.

So I'm honestly not trying to complain, but all I'm saying is, this behavior with a not-talking-intelligibly toddler can be really confusing at times.  I'm thankful for the few signs she does know, because it helps me understand, but I wish we knew more, like "hurt" or "teeth" or "tummy" so we could try to put 2 + 2 together.

At least here's a video of a time when she was feeling pretty good:




Mia at World of Coke from Megan Ciampa on Vimeo.




PS: After this week I think I will start coordinating more playdates to keep the baby boredom at bay! Taking action...making it happen.  Perhaps this will be my new mantra.

1 comment:

Jessica@SewHomegrown said...

Your site is so cute! I love all the pics of Mia- it really is SO confusing when they can't talk!! Then they start to talk really well and turn two and EVERY answer is No. ha. so much for helpful communication Charlotte dear...So now I'm back to guessing what she needs...still better than when they can't talk at all - it will happen! You may want to make her some Chamomile tea and mix it equal parts with juice - if she will drink it, it will help with the teething and tummy pain. Good luck honey, and you are an excellent little Mama!