Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Getting the Sleep we Need

I saw this photo of a newspaper excerpt on my Facebook feed today and man, did I *like* the junk out of it.

Do you feel you get enough sleep? Chances are, if you're a parent of small children, probably not.  Nearly every mom I talk to says the minute their kid(s) go to bed is the time they take to get things done around the house or do something for their own leisure.  Plus, with TV, social media and our smartphones, sometimes it's impossible to disconnect and really hit the hay.

This has been on my mind lately as I've thought about how crazy kids can get when they're overly-tired; imagine how it must be draining to us adults as well on so many different levels: physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually.  Not giving our bodies a chance to renew itself every night takes its toll.

So, here's my confession that I need to do a better job of "unplugging" and hop into bed at an earlier hour, and also not to feel guilt that I don't jump out of bed in the morning like Greg but instead to try to catch a few more Z's until I'm the only responsible adult left in the house.

Also, here's a handy tool to help you figure out what time to go to bed if you're trying to get the most restful sleep based on REM cycles.  Check it out! http://sleepyti.me/

Let's get more sleep! :D

*Actual article linked here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2292195/Its-official-Women-ARE-grumpier-men-mornings.html 

1 comment:

Sweet Woodruff said...

I need more sleep. I stay up too much lately.