Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What I'm going to miss most about summer...




My inner Minnesotan child wouldn't believe it, but our family officially went back to school earlier this week. Up north, it was not uncommon to start school the day after Labor Day. I was in shock when I went to college and I had to report down to school mid-August!  We didn't get out of high school until the first week of June, so where went my summer??

Well, getting out early May in college won me over -- summer started early! And now that Mia's on a August-May schedule, I'm down with the program.



But our summer has now come and gone, and here are the things I will miss:

1. Nearly weekly pool visits.  Once our swimming lessons went into effect, we started taking the kids to the pool nearly every week, and sometimes more than once a week.  Splash pad, waterslide, jumping in with floaties on -- we had a great time and tried to make the most of our local community pool! The kids even got in some sunbathing too, as you can tell...


2. Doing what we wanted, when we wanted. Kids needed a haircut? Alright, let's go! Why not grab an iced latte while I wait? Wanna go see the matinee of Planes: Fire & Rescue? Yes, please! Not having to work around a school schedule was liberating.


seeing family in TN
cousins playing in early morning in NC
packing for the beach was so easy -
pastels & white all the way! #type1
Southern Outer Banks, NC, we loved you!
3. Packing for and taking our trips to the beach in North Carolina in June and seeing family & friends in AL, MO, and TN in July. Our kids got to experience new places -- the Busch stadium in STL, the Atlantic Ocean in NC, and spend time with family we don't get to see very often, not to mention celebrate a great-grandmother's 100th birthday! I was so glad to also see some of my friends in different states--it was so good to reconnect and spend time together--really, truly good for the soul! Also, wouldn't you know that a perk of learning my type also allowed me to pack better? Everything just "matched"!




It's almost hard for my mom-brain to believe this,
but sometimes we went on two dates a week!
What were we thinking!? :P
4. Going on dates! Since we didn't have deadlines or super tight schedules, Greg & I were able to take advantage of our college-aged babysitter who was "off" for the the summer and schedule lots of on-the-spot dates. I do not take that time for granted!











5.  Lots of Stroller Strides -- even in the humid Florida heat.  Our Summer get fit challenge really challenged me by getting out of bed in time to get there...but it wasn't too early that I still couldn't "sleep in" a bit. ;)

6.  And for as on-the-go as we were, also having downtime to do stuff like this:
Watch the World Cup or a Rays game, or even possibly go overboard on reruns of House Hunters. Hey, I'm just sayin'!


Now that we'll be back to a bit of a more normal schedule, I can feel myself gradually getting back into the groove.  And I won't lie, it felt good to pull up to that school Tuesday morning, not just for my child, but also for me.  It'll still be a while before it really feel like fall in Florida, so I'll continue to hold onto the last remnants of summer while finding my new pace this school year. That splash pad is still calling my name!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

I hear you. When you kids were still at home, I really didn't want the summer to end. You were probably more ready to go back to school than I was to send you. I try to be grateful for all the seasons, but am never ready to give up the summer months. Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

Hi Megan! My name is Heather and I was just wondering if you could answer my quick question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

Unknown said...

best way to lose weight 2018 Exercises For Weight Lossstill worry saturated fat? Don’t. The worry of saturated fat is predicated on obsolete theories that are triedincorrect by trendy science. Butter may be a fine food. However, be happy to eat largely unsaturated fat (e.g. olive oil, avocado, fatty fish) if you favor. this might be referred to as a Mediterranean low-carb diet and works nice too.Eating once hungry conjointly implies one thing else: If you’re not hungry you most likely don’t have to be compelled to eat nonetheless. once on a keto diet you'll be able to trust your feelings of hunger and repletion once more. be happy to eat as persistently per day that works best for you. how keto work
https://strengthplans.com/best-weight-loss-supplements/