Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Story of Healing

This article popped up on my newsfeed on Sunday. Someone I follow posted it, and the picture and its title caught my attention.  Little boys and girls are so much more on my radar these days as I have one of each, and I wanted to know what was happening to "the boy with a thorn in his joints."  You can read the full article here:

The Boy With a Thorn in His Joints @ NY Times

I was impressed because it was in the New York Times.  Not my crunchy mama newsletters that I get from time to time.  Not from Natural News.  Not from a blogger.  It was the New York Times, and they were discussing "increased intestinal permeability," which many among the integrative medicine world call "leaky gut."

An excerpt:

The idea is that inflammation in the gut causes the tight junctions between the cells that make up the intestinal lining to loosen. Then, like a lax bouncer, the barrier starts letting through undesirables, various proteins or bacteria that would normally be rebuffed; they then leak into surrounding tissues. The uninvited guests, the hypothesis goes, then trigger an offensive by the body, which uses inflammation to try to get rid of them. That sustained inflammatory response characterizes autoimmune disease.  (Source: The Boy With a Thorn in His Joints @ NY Times, emphasis mine)
I so appreciate that both treatment options were considered and evaluated for effectiveness, and the honesty of the mother in considering what was best and earnestly trying to improve the quality of life for her 3 year old.  Have I piqued your interest enough?

Read the full article here:


What impressed you the most from this article?  What raised questions? Share below!

No comments: