Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Past, Revisited

I don't know about y'all but I know about us, and uh, this is the only way we know how to rock.  
 -Alicia Keys & Usher "My Boo"

Just recently Greg & I started recording and watching NBC's The Sing-Off, showcasing different groups singing a capella to win a huge prize.  So far almost every group we have seen has been outstanding and does an amazing job creating a huge sound with just a few people.  One of the judges is from Boys II Men (am I embarrassed for instantly recognizing him? absolutely not); another judge is from the Pussycat Dolls (am I embarrassed that I once had a song of theirs as my ringtone? um, perhaps); and the other judge is the infamous Ben Folds, who provided the background music for at least half of my college years.  Hey, I discovered him a little late, but better late than never, right? 

My musical tastes have ebbed and flowed over the years, from Portishead & Bjork to Sloan (nods to Kennon & Dave) to Guster, Travis, Death Cab for Cutie, and all the way back to the Black Eyed Peas & Fergie ("G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S").  Seeing some of these groups perform these "throwbacks" of only 5 years, mind you, brings back a lot of fun memories and frighteningly ages me a bit. 

But I don't even think I was alive when this song was recorded, but e'er since I heard it on my parents' stereo, I've loved it (you need to only watch the first minute or so, the rest is judge commentary):


*Sigh*

And speaking of 5 years ago, today 5 years ago two of my very good friends were wed!  Happy anniversary to LPK & MK!

1209 Roomies "hit in the face with a bat"


Seeing LP off

Lil' LPK & Tall MK!

And this explains why Justin Timberlake is playing right now.  Blast from the past, mutual admiration among the 1209 roomies.  You know.

2 comments:

lp said...

love you meg

Rhonda said...

How could you not love that song by the one and only Reverand Al Green!